Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORMATION SCHOOL

+10
Grab
fly_by_nite
Dynamic Productions Pres
[Ysflight]-Mustang
USNAC_Cherokee
Duke
FSXTB_#8_"Wildcat"
jllarkins
FSXTB_CC#1_"Walker"
skyblazer3
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

FORMATION SCHOOL Empty FORMATION SCHOOL

Post  skyblazer3 Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:39 pm

Would there be any interest in a school, or a course that taught the principals of formation flying in FSX? I'm not sure if people feel that they need to work on their formation flying skills or not, but such a program might be a rewarding way for people in the community to interact in a format beyond that of a "team". There would be no performance aspect to it, and it would not be a place to gain prestige or fame..... just a place to learn how to fly formation, or improve your skills.

Again, would there be any interest in a program like this?

Garner
World's Greatest Virtual Fighter Pilot
skyblazer3
skyblazer3

http://FsxSkyblazers.webs.com

Back to top Go down

FORMATION SCHOOL Empty Re: FORMATION SCHOOL

Post  FSXTB_CC#1_"Walker" Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:45 pm

I would be interested in this, by helping newer teams, or people on their formation skills. As a FSX, and LOMAC formation flyer, i have alot of experience with helping newer teams out, and formation. It could be a "Formation Flying School" or something else. We could help them learn in the Extra 300, and take them up to the next level, or what not. It would be a great thing for the FSX teams that are already out there to come together, and all help each other out. I would help so you can count me in Very Happy
FSXTB_CC#1_
FSXTB_CC#1_"Walker"

Back to top Go down

Post  jllarkins Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:01 pm

This sounds like a pretty good idea. I would be interested in helping out. I have different approaches to teaching/helping people how to fly formation.
jllarkins
jllarkins

http://www.virtual106gladiators.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FSXTB_#8_"Wildcat" Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:11 pm

I really hope this becomes a big thing in FSX. It would be A LOT of help!
FSXTB_#8_
FSXTB_#8_"Wildcat"
Admin

http://www.fsxthunderbird.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:17 pm

True this would be an awesome idea but correct me if I'm wrong but this has already been attempted. What I think it would require instead of having dedicated people to teach but having experienced pilots from teams to teach as instructors during weekends before anything with teams because lets not forget that's a few more experienced people we will loose from the formation scene if theres just dedicated people to this one program. Also you would need someone or something to host a complete dedicated 24/7 server to maybe bring in the people who aren't on forums like these who have the ability to become a formation pilot. Just some things to keep in mind. In fact I wouldn't mind dedicating maybe an hour a weekend to a few pilots who would like to become an air show pilot.
Duke
Duke

Back to top Go down

Post  FSXTB_CC#1_"Walker" Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:22 pm

Then lets start spitting ideas lol.

Here are just my ideas....
#1. Starting the new people in a small stunt aircraft like the "Extra 300" then after they complete the steps' and learn in that we could take it to the next level in military aircrafts.

#2. Getting it setup where everyone can petty much help out.

#3. Using a communication system like "Teamspeak"

#4. Writing a manual where they can follow, and learn the basic in formation flying. Even if it needs pictures of how close you need to be or what not.

I have more ideas, but i don't feel like typing them this late at night lol....
FSXTB_CC#1_
FSXTB_CC#1_"Walker"

Back to top Go down

Post  skyblazer3 Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:24 pm

It sounds like we have some people interested in being instructor pilots, now all we need are students!

I'm thinking that this would be something completely unrelated to fsx aerobatic teams. We might not even do any aerobatic maneuvers. Instead, it would be a place for people to learn how to hold their position through turns, roll in and roll outs, climbs, descents, and power changes. I would want to create people who are very very stable on the wing, I would want to create strong fundamentals.

If people choose to go on from this program into an aerobatic team, then they can learn acro with their lead pilot at that point. However, I think something like this would increase the pool of pilots for aerobatic teams. I can't tell you how many unqualified applicants I get for the Skyblazers!

This is something that I've been thinking about for a long time, and I think (as wildcat said) it would help our community tremendously by expanding the base of competent and knowledgeable pilots.

Anyway, I'm not really looking for any ideas as to the details of this thing... I'm just wondering if interest exists from the standpoint of students. I already have a cadre of instructor pilots in mind, but they don't know who they are yet. Smile
Cheers,

Garner
A better Fighter Pilot than you are
skyblazer3
skyblazer3

Back to top Go down

Post  FSXTB_CC#1_"Walker" Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:33 pm

Well if we need to talk about this, and want this to happen you can always contact me on Skype: brandonjetboy18 If you don't have Skype we could always get on Teamspeak. I think we should all get into a Teamspeak or some way to talk about this in a big group conversation. I agree with you Wildcat, and Garner.
FSXTB_CC#1_
FSXTB_CC#1_"Walker"

Back to top Go down

Post  USNAC_Cherokee Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:42 pm

I Would Be Interested in Being a Student
USNAC_Cherokee
USNAC_Cherokee

http://fsxvipers.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FSXTB_#8_"Wildcat" Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:22 pm

Garner let me know if you ever need ny help. I take role in the FSX Thunderbirds in training our new pilots by flying behind the student and lead and watching everything outside the view of the airport while another pilot like Raptor or Burst sits on the ground and watches from the show box.
FSXTB_#8_
FSXTB_#8_"Wildcat"
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jllarkins Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:38 pm

Im interested in Instructing. I'll throw down some ideas as well.

Contact me via...

MSN: larkins.jordan4@hotmail.com
jllarkins
jllarkins

http://www.virtual106gladiators.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Looks like there's a good idea in motion and like garner said not pushing towards joining a team but giving them the know how to do so.

By the way I like your new quote garner "A better fighter pilot than you are" Laughing
Duke
Duke

Back to top Go down

Post  [Ysflight]-Mustang Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:35 pm

Crypt1234 wrote:I Would Be Interested in Being a Student
so would I! Very Happy
[Ysflight]-Mustang
[Ysflight]-Mustang

Back to top Go down

Post  Dynamic Productions Pres Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:56 pm

i would be a possible student or instructor
Dynamic Productions Pres
Dynamic Productions Pres

Back to top Go down

Post  fly_by_nite Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:51 pm

Idk, I may just be adverse to the word school, but are you planning to make it very structured? Like a step-by-step, play by the rules, and show up on a regular basis program?

I would be more interested in more of a drop-in and fly formation with a friendly group of pilots sort of thing.

Maybe it's just me, but if you formalize too much the student-instructor roles for people, you may lose sight of the fact that we all need to work on our formation skills.

For what it's worth... FORMATION SCHOOL Winking0007...coming from a notoriously un-motivated pilot such as myself.
fly_by_nite
fly_by_nite

Back to top Go down

Post  FSXTB_#8_"Wildcat" Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:55 pm

I think it could go both ways. Have like days where its just free flying formation and other days designated to teaching.
FSXTB_#8_
FSXTB_#8_"Wildcat"
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  skyblazer3 Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:12 pm

I was thinking of a more structured environment. I don't want to waste my time with people who aren't serious about learning this stuff. Our school would probably look something like this:

FORMATION SCHOOL Topgun470

However, I understand that not everyone learns best in a high structure situation.... that's why we'll have plenty of time for beach volleyball:

FORMATION SCHOOL Iceman-volleyball-scene-med

Garner
World's worst beach volleyball player
skyblazer3
skyblazer3

Back to top Go down

Post  Grab Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:08 pm

lol Everyone is an instructor.

What the heck, ill be a student Very Happy
Grab
Grab

http://virtualblueangels.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Air_Chief_Marshall Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:25 am

Lol Kevin. Guys I have some people who are planning something big like A FSX Top Gun school. Will keep you posted. IE Skyblazer knows about it. Wink
Air_Chief_Marshall
Air_Chief_Marshall

http://www.darwinflyingschoolvirtual.com

Back to top Go down

Post  [Ysflight]-Mustang Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:24 pm

skyblazer3 wrote:I was thinking of a more structured environment. I don't want to waste my time with people who aren't serious about learning this stuff. Our school would probably look something like this:

FORMATION SCHOOL Topgun470

However, I understand that not everyone learns best in a high structure situation.... that's why we'll have plenty of time for beach volleyball:

FORMATION SCHOOL Iceman-volleyball-scene-med

Garner
World's worst beach volleyball player
hey thats mine.......
The World's Worst Tennis Player
[Ysflight]-Mustang
[Ysflight]-Mustang

Back to top Go down

Post  Heat Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:32 am

That sounds like a great idea, and ill just add mine too.

Since there are also people from europe, and since i live in europe, i had the idea to have an instructor team all over the world, example: A few instructors in the USA, i could take over Europe and stuff like that.

And to prevent getting not dedicated kids, i could create a new website for this project (for free of course, i wont charge anything for that Wink ) and i'd include a very professional application form (you can see an example on my website soon).

If you guys are interested, i could help out here. But first i have to party, todays my B-day muhahaha Very Happy Cool
Heat
Heat

http://vintageblueangels.com

Back to top Go down

Post  skyblazer3 Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:18 pm

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and suggestions.

Like I said, I'm just looking for interest right now. This is probably something that won't get off the ground for another 6 weeks or so. I only want 4 instructors, and I pretty much know who they are. As for students, I am just seeing if an interests exists. I think we would probably create a syllabus and then take a few of the guys from these forums that are interested in formation flight and run them through a trial version of the course. After that however, I think we will probably move away from the FSX formation community to more mature and adult pilots who hang out on other forums, but don't participate in multiplayer flight. There are tons of really good pilots out there who have never flown on multiplayer, and we know where they live....... so that is who we will be targeting. This school idea is not only to train people to be formation pilots, but to widen the pool of people interested in multiplayer formation in FSX. I appreciate everyone's offers to instruct, but I already have a cadre of instructors in mind.... they are some of the finest wingmen from some of the finest FSX teams around -- like true professionals they are quite individuals who would not want their names mentioned or their team associations known.

Heat.... Thanks for your offer of a website, but I don't think we will have a website. This program should be a word of mouth operation that is very very selective in who it chooses as students. I'm not interested in getting any fame or notoriety out of this -- so a website is not necessary because I do not plan to advertise. This will be about flying.

I don't have a problem if other people want to start other formation schools.... but I feel like that might be the blind leading the blind. It would also be counterproductive to the overall success of these programs as credible institutions of learning. Let's not do to this idea what we've done for formation aerobatic teams..... inundate the community with a plethora of organizations that can't get off the ground.

Garner
skyblazer3
skyblazer3

Back to top Go down

Post  jetfighter21 Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:09 pm

Heat wrote:That sounds like a great idea, and ill just add mine too.

Since there are also people from europe, and since i live in europe, i had the idea to have an instructor team all over the world, example: A few instructors in the USA, i could take over Europe and stuff like that.

And to prevent getting not dedicated kids, i could create a new website for this project (for free of course, i wont charge anything for that Wink ) and i'd include a very professional application form (you can see an example on my website soon).

If you guys are interested, i could help out here. But first i have to party, todays my B-day muhahaha Very Happy Cool

HEY HEAT I THINK THAT IS AN AMAZING IDEA YOU SHOULD DO IT
jetfighter21
jetfighter21

http://fsxvipers.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Heat Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:54 am

Your idea, your decision Skyblazer,

i thought about the website thing, because if someone needs information, he wont have to come to you or an other instruction, i dont think that would be a big problem, but your idea sounds like its going to be a big thing in the future, since there are plenty of unexperienced pilots flying military jets and i know many people who would like to learn formation flying at its best. So thats the reason why i thought it would be a good thing to create a website for that where everybody can get information, contact, syllabus and similar stuff.

If you change your decision, you know how to contact me Wink Its also okay if you dont take any instructors anymore, but im still offering my website idea. Like FOXY said, this is like a brotherhood, everybody helps each other, and if i can share my skills, ill do it Wink
Heat
Heat

http://vintageblueangels.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Air_Chief_Marshall Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:58 am

I will post my comment tomorrow on this. Very Happy
Air_Chief_Marshall
Air_Chief_Marshall

http://www.darwinflyingschoolvirtual.com

Back to top Go down